Thursday, July 3, 2014

El Patron Mexican Restaurant & Cantina, 5545 Reseda Blvd. Tarzana, CA 91356

This review is dedicated to mi otra familia: Eduardo A. and Irene H.  and Juan

When all hope fails to find a decent Mexican Restaurant, then you should really check out this blog. El Patron is a bit of a drive from Cal State Northridge, but well worth it. It doesn't look much as you pass by unless you really look at the restaurant. There's sort of an outside patio that makes this restaurant unique. The parking is quite bland. I would have suggested some colorful lighting or lights. I would add the colorful christmas lights, a security guard and hidden speakers playing some spanish music. That would definitely get the flow of Mexico. As you walk to the front entrance, it's pretty bland too. There should be some colorful christmas lights along the railing and maybe a speaker on the wall playing some pepe aguilar or some salsa music at least. As you turn left, you can see the semi-open patio that people are eating. Things starts to get interesting. When you walk inside and greeted, you have a choice to eat outside or inside. I prefer inside during a hot summer afternoon.

The interior of the restaurant is finely decorated with breathtaking photos and should have more breathtaking scenery pictures, but that's ok. The music that is being played flows with the restaurant. They are playing "Oye como va," by Carlos Santana. Anything by Santana is good enough for me. The menu is different since it's lunch time. I am unsure if the menu is same at dinner time since the waitress was persistent that there's only one menu, which I doubt. I will have to make a return for dinner real soon. The tables are quite small in height, since I am a tall guy; I have to sort of crouch and lean on the table to eat. However, the food selection is quite broad for a lunch menu. The food is on one side, and the drinks menu on the other side. This time I am in need of a burrito. So I order a Shrimp Burrito with guacamole. (Burrito de camaron). My date orders a carne asada burrito with guacamole. We each order water. The drinks like Horchata and Jamaica are good choices as well, but the thing is there are no refills which is the downside. (really no refills?) yep no refills and the price is horrible for the drink. You'd rather just drink water or possibly order a beer or margarita!

The chip and dip comes in and the chips are nicely hot and fresh. The salsa could be better and the bean dip is a bit salty. I have had better. The food takes a while and they get my date's order wrong. They make her a chicken burrito when she ordered a carne asada. Mine came out well. By the time she gets her dish, we are somewhat full already dining on chips and dip. But the flavors from the burrito is exquisite. They just need to work on a few things here and there, which could make this restaurant more authentic. The one thing I love about this restaurant also is they don't rush you out of the table, now this could only be because it was a slow lunch time. Until, I make a dinner visit.. I will let you all know. Food 5/5, Drinks 4/5, Value of food 5/5 and value of drinks 2/5. Overall environment or feel ... 3/5. But I love the food here, so I definitely will make a return visit. It's definitely up to you!

view of the bar

loving the mosaic tiles and the backdrop painting

My burrito de camaron (shrimp)

another view of the bar

No comments:

Post a Comment