Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pho Ct (Canoga Park, CA)

I love pho, don't you? If you never had pho, you are definitely missing out on a yummy treat! It's white noodles in chicken broth. The broth is different with every restaurant and it depends on what part of Vietnam the restaurant is focusing on. Ever wonder what Pho 999 or Pho So 1 meant? The number does mean something. According to one of my Vietnamese friends, he told me that the numbers mean the different spices added to the dishes. So what does Pho So 1 mean? Well, it seems to be a mystery to me.

There are a lot of pho places, but this pho place is quite different. There are other dishes, desserts, and  beer. This is interesting. Want to make it even more bizarre? At the end of every month during Friday evening, there is a jazz band that comes at 7pm to play. This band is called the Paul Weitz Trio. You can youtube them and they have some videos of them playing. Me and my buddies have been anticipating for this moment. So, we did wait til the end of Feb and they appeared on a Friday evening. The weather outside was cold and rainy. As we got inside, we ordered our pho and some TsingTsao beer around 630. About 7, the band had arrived and started to set up. One of my friends spoke and told the band leader that he loves jazz and he's a drummer. The band leader is happy to have met another musician and asks us if we are musicians as well. My friend Zenghui nods and tells him that he's a classical guitarist and I nod as well and tell him I am a pianist. Then the three of us look at each other and nodded with each other. We have a jazz band, and all we need is a sax or trumpet.

So as the music begins to play, so does the noise of the crowds eating here. I only had enough to tip them, otherwise I would've bought a CD they had near them. I love jazz and to have jazz being played at a Vietnamese restaurant, is definitely a treat.

Now the Pho here is ok.. I do love that the beef tendon is huge, but the soup is very salty. I might just have to order just beer next time and something else. The music is great. I will definitely come here for the music. But the pho.. i would rather recommend going to Pho Saigon 1, if you want some awesome broth and awesome pho!

Here are some pics of the band.



Paul Weitz Trio

My friends enjoying the conversation as well as the jazz.

A dessert dish my friend had.. ice cream with peanuts?

No comments:

Post a Comment