Friday, December 13, 2013

Golden City Cafe (formerly known as Golden City Seafood Restaurant)

This is a unique restaurant. It has been in business since the 70s. My mom and dad went here on a date before they got married. This restaurant I have been eating when I was a kid and when my brother was a kid. We have been dining here since the day I was born. Of course the restaurant has changed since, but the owner has been the same. This restaurant can be featured in the movie, "rush hour" You could only see a glimpse of it for a few seconds, but it was there. It was the scene where Jackie Chan brought some Chinese take-out for Chris Tucker and they were eating "camel's hump" I don't think it was camel's hump, though.
I have to say, though, this is one of the few existing, authentic, and reasonable Chinese restaurants that are in Chinatown, Los Angeles. There's a lot of history into this place. I have celebrated holiday events, birthdays (in particular, my mom's and dad's) and every Friday and/or Saturday eating here. What do we order usually? Well it has transitioned three times and menu's have changed a bit. Usually we would order house special crab. (delicious!! it was crab with black pepper sauce.. which can only be found in Singapore). Nowadays they resort to the cafe-type style of foods, though, keeping the authentic style around. They cater to Western type foods which is steak, fries, etc. However, still when I come here with my family, we have the traditional foods. Foods that you won't get at Panda Express. This is "real" Chinese food. I feel I have to educate my non-Chinese friends about Chinese food, since they seem to think that places such as Panda Express, ABC food-to-go, Silver Panda are the best Chinese food ever. Sorry to disappoint. But, this is when you need a Chinese friend! :)

This is the Chinese Version of calamari. It's squid
in spicy salt.

This is a hot clay pot with rice cooked
with chicken and mushroom.

This is fried chicken
"Chinese style" served with sweet
Thai Chili sauce

This is beef brisket with tendon
 
My favorite dish which is
Sweet and Sour Pork with Bone

A famous appetizer which is minced chicken
with lettuce (can be also minced squab)



for $12.99 you get Lobster with Yee Mein
(or thick white Chinese noodles)

This is how the restaurant looks from the back


This is minced beef over rice in a clay pot. The egg placed on top gives a little flavor. 
this place is fried fish filet with corn sauce. Very crispy, but very sweet!!!
I hope by viewing these few dishes, you can visit Chinatown which is situated in Los Angeles, California. They also have a lunch menu! It's quiet at night because all the shops close, but there are a few restaurants worth trying and I would suggest to try this restaurant. I would suggest don't order any noodle dishes. Order something you would never order like…sweet and sour fish fillet, clay pot rice with minced beef, clams with spicy salt, seafood tofu hot pot! And of course hot tea!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Arthur, this place must have a very special place in your heart.

    That rice porridge looks really authentic. Pair that with springrolls, have mercy!

    ReplyDelete