Saturday, December 21, 2013

Sam Woo Barbecue Restaurant (Van Nuys, CA)

       There aren't a lot of Chinese restaurants in the San Fernando Valley that can pull it off with their prices, taste, and environment. Sam Woo first opened in the early 90s in Van Nuys, CA. It opened a portal for Asians, especially Chinese people to get some Chinese food rather than to travel all the way to Chinatown for Chinese food. I remember it clearly as it was yesterday. It was just the 99 ranch market and Sam Woo Restaurant. I was 10 years old and this was exciting for my family and my relatives. When my brother was born in 1991, we ate here at the Sam Woo many times as well. From then on, whenever we had lunch or dinner, Sam Woo would be one of the destinations for us to dine at. The staff has changed a bit, there are still the old timers that have been there since 1990. It's such a treat to see them still there and remember the good old times. They still remember when my mom was pushing my brother in a stroller and we ate some won ton noodles. They also had remembered when I was a short skinny fella. There's a lot of history in that plaza and I am glad to have the chance to review this restaurant.
      There's lots to choose from and their menu has slightly changed since then. We each have our own favorite special dishes. I would recommend as a first time visitor to have beef chow fun (dried), unless u want sauce which is the wet version, hot tea, roast duck on rice, lo-mein, and some steamed rice. Of course, if you are a food enthusiast, such as I, I would recommend the BBQ Rice Dishes. Depending on how many is in your party, get the bbq pork (cha-sui) and salty-chicken on rice.
Also, upon entering the restaurant, there's a pad where you must sign in your number and sign in how many people are in your party in the sign up sheet. There is no background music here, but just loud chatter from the customers. The restrooms are tidy and the restaurant is very tidy. The boba is not my thing over here, I would recommend elsewhere, but if you do get it, then just get the thai ice tea boba. Also, the almond jello is very nice here. I tend to order (1) order for myself since it has been a treat for me since I was a kid. I would always get an order of almond jello for myself whichever Chinese Restaurant I may be. They also have order to go, and they have bbq roast pork, bbq duck, bbq pork, chicken, ready for sale. So I hope when you come here, you order something that you wouldn't rather order when you are at Panda Express or any Chinese-fast food restaurant. Of course, the food here tastes much different!!!


Salty Chicken (half) and Soy-Sauce Chicken
(half) on rice

Roast Pork

BBQ Pork and Salty Chicken (half) on rice

No comments:

Post a Comment